This is a list of questions that have come from real customers, and our responses. Over time we hope all pearl related questions will be answered here.
Return to Home Page of this blog.

Monday, July 7, 2008

Conch Pearl Ring

Conch Pearl RingQ: I found your site through a google search, and happened upon the page featuring natural conch pearls, specifically. On that note....

I have been dating a girl for about 3 years, and have started to look at rings. However, we are not going the traditional route. We've had long discussions about diamonds, and have decided they're not for us, for any number of reasons.

That said, she suggested that I look into pearls. And, I have. I was pushed in the direction of the Tahitian black pearls, and am finding some nice rings in my research. But, then I saw the conch pearls, and have all but stopped looking.

What really grabbed me were the colors. Namely, red.
Dorris, my girlfriend, is Chinese. Subsequently, the color red is a major part of her being, her day-to-day life. She truly believes in the good fortune that is represented by red, the number 8, etc.

Layered into this is her family. Living between the U.S. and Beijing, they are savvy negotiators in many world markets. Her mother, in particular. During my trips to China, I've gone with Dorris and her mother to the various markets and shops were natural and freshwater pearls are sold. In short, these are two women who know what they are looking at when it comes to pearls.

I mention all of this so you have an idea of who I am proposing to, and the importance of having a ring that stands out. I think I may have found that in the conch pearls, but have couple of questions.

Of the conch pearls you have online:

1. Is this your entire inventory, at least your current one. If so, would you be able to help me find that truly "red" conch pearl.

2. These pearls are loose, so I would need to talk to you about a setting. I see that you have at least two associated designers.

I'll leave it at that for now, as I'm sure there will be questions to follow. Regardless, thank you for your time and I appreciate any direction you may be able to provide.


A: The choice of an engagement ring with a pearl instead of a diamond is, as you say, unusual but one that is just beginning to gain interest. Having said that, the idea of using a natural pearl is even more unusual. We have worked with a few men to make a pearl engagement ring but so far nothing even close to a red conch pearl. It would be just stunning!

The current inventory is listed on the site however, new natural pearls are scheduled to arrive tomorrow afternoon. I will go through all the new conch pearls to select any with very intense color and get you photos if there are any that you might like. One thing to consider as you are investigating is the size of the pearl in relation to the color. The conch pearls tend to become less intense in color as they become larger so it would be helpful to know if you have some size parameters in mind.

The ring designs can be created as you like with a natural conch pearl. If you have seen the finished jewelry pieces in the Natural Pearl category and see something there that is in a style you like, we can use that as a jumping off point. The ring can be in either yellow or white gold. Since 8 is an auspicious number, perhaps we can set 4 diamonds down the band on either side of the pearl or surround the pearl with 8 diamonds. This is just a quick idea but certainly a place to start.


If you would like me to continue from my end in pursuit of the red conch, let me know and I'll keep you posted. In the meantime, it would also be helpful to know if you have a deadline for the ring.

No comments: