This is a list of questions that have come from real customers, and our responses. Over time we hope all pearl related questions will be answered here.
Return to Home Page of this blog.

Monday, July 21, 2008

Actual Length of Pearls in a Strand

pearl necklace length 18 inches Q: I just received the 18 inch strand of akoya pearls I ordered and they are beautiful. When I measure the necklace, the pearls measure 17" and the clasp 1". Is this how the 18inches is routinely determined? I raise this inconsistency since 3 years ago I orderd from you another 18 inch akoya necklace and when I just compared the two necklaces, the 3 y.o. strand has 18" of pearls plus the clasp; 1 inch more of pearls. Please clarify the difference in the 18" from one necklace versus the other.

A: I am happy to hear that you loved the pearls. The industry standard for measuring a necklace is from clasp to clasp. This is done so that a standard can be maintained on how a necklace would lay on a person's neck. When you first receive the necklace, the silk knots between the pearls are still tight. After a few wears, however, the silk will start to loosen up. Therefore, after 3 years of wear, the knots would have loosened up to make the necklace longer than 18" (clasp to clasp).

No comments: